You might do a spiritual cleanse when you’re feeling burdened by worries or negativity, or when you feel spiritually blocked.
However, you may also choose to cleanse your spirit on a regular basis to help your spiritual growth.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that this post may contain some affiliate links. Click here to learn more
Doing a cleansing ritual or taking a ritual bath both allow you to cleanse your spirit. Additionally, you can also meditate or pray to relieve your burdens.
- For instance, you could repeat a mantra in your head as you bathe. You might think, “I release negativity, so my spirit will be lifted,” or “I’m washing away my worries and cares.”
Tip: The best time to take a ritual bath is the Friday closest to a full moon. However, you can do it anytime and get a spiritual cleansing.
2. Run a bath that’s comfortably hot. Fill your tub with slightly hot water that doesn’t burn your skin. Before you get in, test your water with the back of your hand to make sure it’s not too hot.
- If it feels too hot, wait a few minutes for the water to cool down.
- If your water is too cold for comfort, drain a little water out of the tub, then add more hot water to warm it up.
- Himalayan sea salt
- Unrefined sea salt
- Epsom salt
Warning: Don’t use table salt because the anti-caking agents add unnecessary ingredients to your bath. Additionally, its minerals have been removed.
- Lavender essential oil or dried herbs
- Rosemary essential oil or dried herbs (not appropriate for pregnant women)
- Vetiver essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Rose petals
- Dried sage
Tip: If you use crystals in your practice, consider adding quartz, rose quartz, black tourmaline, or amethyst to your bath to help with your cleansing.
5. Soak in the water for 20-30 minutes. Get into your bath water and relax. Submerge as much of your body under the water as possible. Then, close your eyes and focus on your intention to cleanse your spirit.
- Focus on your breath to gently bring your awareness to your body and what you’re doing. This will help you reflect on your intention.
- If you like, pray or ask for spiritual support to help you cleanse yourself.
7. Let your body air dry after your spiritual bath. When you feel ready, get out of your spiritual bath to end the ritual.
Instead of drying off with a towel, let the water naturally air dry so that it evaporates off of your skin. This helps complete the cleansing process.
- It’s okay to put on your robe, but don’t towel off first.
8. Take your cleansing bath as often as once a week. Don’t take cleansing baths too often.
If you feel like you need regular cleansing, take a spiritual bath once a month or as often as once a week. Otherwise, you might deplete your spirit from over-cleansing.
- Try different cleansing schedules for yourself to find what works for you.
Doing A Cleansing Ritual
- Choose a quiet place where you won’t be distracted. Pick a place where you can sit or lie down comfortably. It doesn’t have to be a big space, and it’s okay to use a corner of the room. If there’s any clutter, try to remove it, so it won’t distract you.
- If you’re having trouble finding a good spot, consider going outside for your ritual. This also allows you to connect with nature, which might help you boost your positive energy.
- Sage for purification
- Cedar for positive energy
- Sweetgrass for cleansing
- Palo santo for clarity and grounding
Variation: You might prefer to use a smudge stick, which you can buy at a spiritual store or online. You can use this alone or with an abalone shell to rest it in.
3. Arrange your supplies in your ritual space. Place your supplies on the floor, a table, or a blanket. You can arrange them any way you like.
One way is to put your candle to the south, your incense or smudge stick to the east, your salt to the north, and your bowl of water to the west.
Light your incense or smudge stick, so the smoke fills the area. Any other supplies, like your empty bowl, will go to the center. Here are some supplies you may use:
- A white candle
- A bowl or cup of water
- An empty bowl
- It helps to focus on your breath. For instance, you might count your breaths to clear your mind.
- State your intention, such as, “I am releasing all negativity,” or “With this ritual, I will be cleansed of all negativity and blockages.”
5. Light your white candle and leave it burning until it goes out. Use a lighter, match, or the end of your incense to light your candle.
Then, reflect on your desire to get rid of negative energy or blockages. Leave your candle burning throughout your ritual. For best results, let it extinguish itself.
- A white candle is a great option because it represents positive energy. However, you can also use a black candle to represent the negative energy you’re removing.
- You can also list your negative energies and blockages in your mind or out loud, as another option.
Variation: Instead of paper, try using a raw egg to purge your energies. Hold the egg up to your forehead and imagine that your negative energy is transferring to the egg. Then, smash the egg in your bowl to destroy it.
7. Envision the negative energies dissolving. Hold your list or set it down next to the empty bowl. Then, close your eyes and imagine the things on your list evaporating or fading away. Then, picture a weight being lifted off of you.
- You might also state your intention to let these things go. You could say, “I’m letting go of my fear, envy, and negativity,” or “I banish all negativity from my life.”
8. Burn your list to release the energy from your life. Open your eyes, then hold the corner of your piece of paper in the flame of the candle.
Immediately drop the paper into the empty heatproof bowl. Watch the paper burn down to ashes. As you do this, picture your negative energies and blockages floating away in the smoke.
- If your fire keeps burning, dowse it with the water you placed in your ritual area.
- Leave your candle to burn out, if possible. If you need to blow out the candle, do so when you feel ready to end your ritual.
PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT: If this post was helpful or if you have anything you want us to write on. Thank You much Love 🙂 ❤