While therapies for depression could work for some depressed individuals, they might not work for others depending on the level of their depression and also how their immune system works. Some depressed individuals may need extra remedies to cure their depression.
Nootropics that are used by most people to help give them a sound mind are sometimes considered a remedy for people with chronic depression. This article looks at Nootropics and how they can help with depression.
Table of Contents
Nootropics are non-prescribed substances that can enhance brain performance and focus. Examples of Nootropics include creatine and caffeine. This drug usually does not treat any disease but has some level of effects on memory, thinking, and other mental functioning.
It can also refer to as natural or synthetic supplements that boost mental performance. Nootropics are also a type of stimulant that can be used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. Usually, people who use prescription Nootropics to improve their thinking and memory have a higher risk of impulsive behaviors such as risky sexual practices.
Some prescription Nootropics include,
- Adderall: this contains amphetamines that treat and cure ADHD
- Methylphenidate: this is a stimulant that is used or prescribed to manage and control symptoms of narcolepsy
- Memantine: is also another prescription of Nootropics that treat symptoms of Alzheimer’s diseases
- Modafinil: this serves as a stimulant that control, manages, and treats sudden drowsiness of narcolepsy.
Side Effects Of Prescription Nootropics
- Blurred vision
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems
Best Nootropics Supplements
- Resveratrol: this is an antioxidant that naturally occurs in the skin of purple and red fruits. Resveratrol prevents the deterioration of the hippocampus which is an important part of the brain that deals with memory. This treatment may however lessen the function of the brain as you grow older.
- Fish oils: fish oil supplement is one of the major Nootropics supplements that are rich and serves as a source of docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid which improves brain health and other health benefits. The docosahexaenoic acid maintains the structure and function of the brain. Eicosapentaenoic acid also has anti-inflammatory effects that may protect the brain against damage and aging.
- Creatine: this is a natural substance that helps in energy metabolism. Creatine can be found in some foods such as animal products like meat, fish, and egg.
- Caffeine: this is mostly found in foods such as tea, coffee, and dark chocolate. It helps in stimulating the brain and the central nervous system and makes an individual feel less tired and more alert.
- Phosphatidylserine: this helps in preserving brain health and also helps reduce age-related decline in brain function. Studies have shown that healthy people who take Phosphatidylserine supplements of up to 400 mg per day have been shown to have improved thinking skills and memory.
Does Fish Oil Supplement Improve Depression?
Studies concluded that using fish oil supplements improves depressive symptoms in people with depression. Researchers have also found out that how EPA and omega-3s improve depressive symptoms is quite not clear.
This may be related to their effect on serotonin and serotonin receptors in the brain. Fish oil however improves other mental health conditions like borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder.
Depression can be cured by Nootropics but not in all cases. Individuals who would like to use Nootropics to cure their depression should first consult a healthcare professional for the best options and recommendations.